Monday, January 26, 2009

To freak or not to freak, that is the question


In High school i used to frequent the Classic Jukebox, to us regulars it was "the jukie." Every Tuesday night in the summer, 18 and under night. I LOVED IT. I would put on my tight stretchy bell bottomed black pants from wet seal, and a nice conservative top...and then grab one of Erin's halter tops and change in the car on the way there so my mom wouldn't know i was dressing like a skank. I thought i was so awesome cause my 16 yr old braceface would go with these darling (they really were darling) Seniors from Oakridge. We would dance to remixes of "The Boy is Mine," the nastiest song to date "Too Close" by Next, and another nasty one that was a sactown favorite "The Freaks of the Industry." These are days i am not proud of...


This last weekend i went with some of my friends from Huntington, to a club in Costa Mesa. Its a really classy joint called Annex (not at all classy). Let me just first say, that i am a rusty dancer. I used to have all sorts of rhythm. I could shake my booty like Beyonce (just ask Megan, we used to dance to that destiny's child cd constantly). Dancing used to come easy and now its a struggle. I feel stupid. If you think about it, dancing to a rap song, its weird. Anyway, back to the story...I was the only one who felt this way apparently, because everyone else i was with stepped straight out of a JT video. They took their places on the dance floor and partnered off for some good ol fashioned FREAK DANCING.

I decided to do a little opinions survey among my friends. All of these dancers are great people and friends with similar backgrounds and standards...one is a non-freak dancer, one is a reformed freak dancer, and lastly a straight up FREAK DANCER (we called it freaking in Folsom, its also been referred to as grinding, or so I've heard).

Here are their thoughts in their own words on the matter.

NON-FREAKER:
"Don't get me wrong...i like to get down when i dance. I just don't like to look like I'm semi having sex with clothes on, standing up for everyone to see. I don't necessarily feel like that's what I'm watching when I see others do it...it just feels nasty when a guys up on me. That's all. I will be the first to say I will go to clubs with my husband though. And freak for the whole world to see."

Reformed Freaker:
"I was always a good girl and in Junior High I was embarrassed to freak dance, but i did a little bit. In High school i did, without a second thought about it. By freshman year of high school, i didn't think it was a big deal. I never went to church dances, and we had a lot of school dances. My sophomore year, I met my high school boyfriend by freaking him on the dance floor (it must have been good cause we dated on and off for a while). The freaking continued through high school, and even occasionally at some UVSC dances. Then one day, I don't know what changed, the freak dancing or me. Maybe I didn't see anyone on the dance floor that was "freak worthy" and i hated getting freaked up on by strangers. I will take it back up once I'm married, and occasionally with a boyfriend. But i cant do it seriously now, cause i think its funny."

Freaker to this day:
"I first started freak dancing back in 7th grade. And my mom showed up to pick me up from the school dance and saw me and all my friends doing it, and was mortified. It continued in HS, but it wasn't as bad because I frequently went to state dances. After high school I was 18 and could go to clubs. So that is where i really got down and dirty. I was too young to know what was appropriate. I learned to "drop it like its hot," and my goal was always to have a black guy come up and dance with me, that is when you know you are good. I also learned how to get really low. There was a lot of booty shaking in those days. Then i went on my mission and when i returned i somehow lost rhythm. I still freak to this day, occasionally more dirty than other times. I don't know why i love to freak so much, one day i will have to let it go...maybe when I'm married."

So peeps, what are your thoughts on this? MOM, What are your thoughts, freak or no freak??


25 comments:

Michael Visser DMD said...

KR, Rhyll, and Christy...in that order.

Emily said...

Ewww...freaking is SO dirty. Who does that anyway??

Anonymous said...

i am like SO glad to know that all those people that think that using their bodies to just get a sexual climax without having to go to the bishop's office are going to hell, and i won't have to see them and their faded crotch jeans in the afterlife.
i hope we can fox trot in heaven to frank sinatra.
that was real dancing.

Brittany Claire Norman said...

ohh the Juke Box... good times in Sac town! What dirty guys from Oak Ridge did you go with? I was probably gettin busy with them on the dance floor at our school dances! (This was pre- reformed of course!) bahahaha!

And don't tell me it was Matt Castillo! Hes a great freak dancer and my date to Sadie Hawkins!

nate said...

I'm with anonymous. Freakers are going to hell! No exceptions.

Anonymous said...

hey michael.....what about me????? i live in that house too! THANKS A LOT.

Whitney said...

I don't understand the appeal of freaking. It's been so long since I've been to a club/dance/party that I can't imagine being surrounded by people gettin their freak on all sweaty like. Sick.

Jules AF said...

I've said many o' times to guys trying to get up on me, "DON'T TOUCH ME. I DON'T DO THAT!" I think it's gross. Go dry hump on your couch or something.

But wow, anonymous. I'm hoping that's somewhat of a joke.

Rhyll said...

uh, I did not make the Reformed Freaker comment. I barely know how to dance, let alone freak.

Rhyll said...

I was also not quoted at any other point in this article either.

Kaisa Bailey said...

?
You really need to come home.

Amy said...

Mom says: Only freaks freak so don't be freakin - as Lincoln says, you hear me!! And what is this about halter tops and sneaking them out of the house and changing. I am appalled!! I would never think you would do that. I am so glad your high school days are over - I don't miss those days one bit. I'm glad you have outgrown the halter top phase, even though I never knew you had one!! And one more thing - I am amazed that you lost your dance moves. When did that happen??

lindsay lark said...

I was never much of a freaker, mostly because watching the boys' faces totally grossed me out.

My favorite were the girls that condemned me for wearing spaghetti straps to prom, but then got freak nasty on the dance floor in their hot orange, taffeta, Allyse's Bridal bolero jacketed dresses. It's okay to freak as long as your shoulers are covered.

beckie said...

I LOVE dancing and I love dancing dirty but there is no way in hell I am letting some greasy nasty stranger press himself against me. My husband, yes. Some random mexican with a drink in his hand, no. And I can say that because I am mexican. No me tocas!

Schoenstars said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Schoenstars said...

BAHAHAHA!!! WET SEAL! HAHAHA!!! Oh man, that has got to be the best part of the entire blog! But really, do I need to state my opinion when it comes to dancing??? Anyone that knows me knows that I like to get down and dirty!!! But for the record, I only like to dance like that with my husband. And since he doesn't club it up...I'm pretty much SOL. But I'm with Beckie. I would never let some nasty, greasy, skanky guy get all up ons. Ew! Instead, I just hit up gay night at Club Sound with my sisters-in-law, and the lesbos steer clear cuz they think we're together. Problem solved!

Aubrey Messick said...

Next time you go to Annex, call me. That place is so freaking classy. No pun intended. Okay, maybe it was. But seriously...call me!

The Bertagna's said...

those times sound so familiar for some reason.....HA..but Blake did have to explain what the song "too close" was saying when we were dating..how was I supposed to know he was poking!

Matt said...

Shauna,
What a fun post. It's so strange that this is even a debate for LDS singles. I mean, think if one of your friends says to you, "Hey let's go to the club and jazz." And you say, "What's jazzing?" And he says, "Oh it's just another word for having sex." And you say, "Oh I don't want to go have sex." And he says, "No it's cool. Everyone's standing up when they do it. And there's music. And we all watch each other." You would never hang out with that friend again. But instead the friend says, "Let's go to the club and freak." You say, "What's freaking?" He says, "Oh freaking is when everybody gets together and we all dry-hump each other." You say, "Really. All of my bishops--every one--has said dry-humping makes me unworthy to take the sacrament or go to the temple." Then he says, "No it's cool. Everyone's standing up when they dry-hump. And we all watch each other. And there's music." So off people go to the club to dry-hump to the beat of the music. Is it okay to murder, if it's to the beat of a good song, and you're standing up?

Anonymous said...

Freak dancing. HA! I think if you're going to freak.. do it in the bed room. You'll get a lot more accomplished.

katie rose and nate said...

there's nothing wrong with dry humping as long as it's to music. standing up. with an audience. i've always said that. that girl in the 2nd picture is hilarious

DANIMAL said...

To all you hatin' on freak dancing: don't knock it till you've tried it. I used to think freak dancing was bad, but then I tried it. It's freaking AWESOME!!!

DANIMAL said...

and second of all, dry humping and/or freaking is NOT having sex with your clothes on. There is no penetration when you dry hump or freak dance. If you were penetrating with your clothes on THEN you would be having sex with your clothes on.

Matt said...

Another thing I thought of: what do freakers do for an encore? For instance, many humans have a courtship period, where you try to work up the guts to hold the other person's hand, or kiss. So if a couple of freakers go to a club and freak for their first date, and then find themselves in a movie theater on the second date, might the guy try to work up the guts to roll over onto the girl and start having sex with her?

na said...

First, who is Michael, and what ever gave him the impression Rhyll danced?

Second, I don't dance, yet still get freaked by good, upstanding, LDS girls. Most recently this happened while standing still and drinking a bottled water. I love bottled water and it was free so I was like, "why not?"

I don't consider myself accountable for what those girls did to me.

Third, who are these girls who think that after they get married they are going to go to the club and freak with their husbands? Whatever the thought process is that somehow concludes their husbands will get home from work and be like, "Hey - I know we're married and already cohabitating, but I was thinking we could get dressed up, go to a really loud dark place with a bunch of sweaty buzzed strangers and provocatively grind each other while standing up. Cause nothing turns me on like you shaking it while some old guy with a martini stares at you from across the room. I love that! Love it!"

I guess that's why there's so many married couples at the clubs all the time.

Lastly, I support Matt and his mustache.