Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fashion Frugality

During these tough economic times, I thought i would share a tip I learned yesterday on how to save 60-100$ on a new church dress.

Step 1. Find a dress in your closet that you still like the fit of, but don't wear cause its WHITE .
n514971215_8774_9550
(YES! you're seeing this right, i used to wear blue hoop earings)
Step 2. Head to your nearest craft store (mine happened to be Albertsons last night at 11:30) and buy a bottle of Rit Dye in the color of your choice.

Step 3. Dye your previously white dress said color (mine happened to be navy).
photo
(don't judge, still not totally moved into the 'ol room)
Step 4. Wear your "new" dress to church and feel really good about not heading to the mall yesterday to buy something new when that's all you really wanted to do.

I think I'll add a step five, and dye it navy again...it sort of is the color of denim, which ISN'T what was going for, but still wearable.

6 comments:

Lindsay Jane said...

I'm glad you tried this and chose to return and report. Not sure I'll ever be brave enough to give it a go, but you're an inspiration.

Aubrey Messick said...

was this before or after you were throwing up saturday night? you're in trouble.

and yes, that dress is absolutely adorable on you and i want one now.

ps- i have that belt...and it looks cuter on you than me. :)

Anonymous said...

CUTE. Your blog is so fun to read because of posts like this... short, simple, but about things that people really want to see/hear about.

Schoenstars said...

so cute! and loving the belt!

Kristine L. said...

cute! are you on a hike in your white dress? fashion first.

monica said...

okay well that is amazing. i have always wondered if said thing worked. yess. and you look adorable in that dress! i love that belt as well. sheesh.