Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Am I all Alone on this one?

So Olivia just posted about how she watched Pride & Prejudice last night and how much she loves it...and well it seems like every female i know (other than my sister megan) loves loves LOVES anything even remotely connected to Jane Austen. Whether its a full on Jane Austen movie, or even just late 1800's bullcrap that seems Jane Austen-ish. I cant stand this genre of "romantic" movies. Why would i ever want or expect to be entertained by people speaking in Old English, wearing no makeup (see the new pride and prejudice and youre looking at a greasy, cat-faced kiera knightly the entire movie..no thanks), and doing things i cannot relate to (ie, fetching pails of water).

ITS MADDENING. Why does it feel like as a woman i am SUPPOSED to love these? I HATE THEM. Does anyone else feel this way?

18 comments:

Kaisa Bailey said...

You are crazy.

Kaisa Bailey said...

What is not to love about their outfits, the way they talk, and instead of putting on blush, pinching your cheeks instead? I think you are just Mr. Darcy deprived.

Jules AF said...

Since I hate Keira Knightly, I support anything that makes her look like crap. But I also just really like Jane Austen stuff. It's an older world, and I just wish I was in the simple world of back then sometimes.

Bethy said...

No Shauna..... you are your sister are the only ones who don't love it. Get on the train!

Shauna said...

well then someone tell me what is wrong with me then, and how to fix it? its not that i dont want to enjoy these thing, its just...i dont get it.

Douglas Quist said...

Nope. You are all alone on this one.

Kaisa Bailey said...

I will also jump on the Keira Knightley band-wagon. I have a hard time with her especially in romantic comedies...BUT I cannot believe you wouldn't want to wear their adorable dresses and to not care about a lot of the dumb things we have to today.

Lindsay Jane said...

Shahauna - You're not alone...I don't get it either. I have no appreciation for anything Jane Austenish.

Ellie said...

I am so with you...i started watching one of these movies years ago and couldn't finish because you are right there is nothing romantic, funny, cute, or anythng of the sort!

kaitlin said...

i know we aren't common aquaintances but i saw this post and um ya i totally agree with you. i never even finished the new pride and prejedice, i certainly am not going to watch the five hour old one. i don't get it either.

Lyndsay said...

S- I am TOTALLY with you. I HATE the old English crap-ola. Seriously, what waste of time. BORING

Olivia Carter said...

Hahaha! Too bad my one mention on your blog is where I suck! Ah well, I do like Old English movies.

However, I HATE new romantic movies. I mean, "Keeping the Faith", "Maid in Manhattan". "Fever Pitch"? Those movies drive me insane! With the exception of a few movies (My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Sleepless in Seattle, & the like).

The thing I like about Old English romantic movies is that the romance is really subtle & slowly builds. Unlike a lot of movies these days where people just hook up & they're dumb- so dumb things happen. I don't know... this is too long... just needed to defend my taste! haha!

The Dally Llama said...

I think it must be genetic. When you were born, you simply didn't get all the genes that cause female craziness, so you don't manifest female craziness in this area of your life. Count yourself as lucky.

Or, it could be that you have the ability to look past Austen's shameless appeals to emotion and playing off illogical longing for a world that is out of step with reality. -Because that's really all her books are about.

Note: I've never read any of her books. I have suffered through a couple of movies based on the books, however. And I'm not proud of it.

Anonymous said...

you are not alone.
keira is beautiful- her authentic makeup (or lack thereof) was so distracting. rather than focus on the movie, i kept thinking "wtf why does keira look so BAD?!"

boo.

Raquel Ruggles said...

Agree with kais. The hats alone sound like so much fun!

Sheryl said...

Let's just put it this way, i've just decided not to get into the genre to begin with. It's not appealing to me. I can't relate to movies that anytime I see a black person in one of those films they're the help :)...but in all seriousness I have no opinion cause I just dont watch them.

Amy said...

I've never like those movies so it must be hereditary. They are boring to me.

christian@dontdodumbthings.com said...

lolol. Very funny post. Greasy cat-faced Kiera Knightly, and fetching pales of water.

Actually, i can picture you doing the latter.