I'm sure from reading my blog you can all tell that I love my job. I feel really grateful to have a job that i don't dread. Most of the time i am ready for the weekend to get over so that i can come to work. I love the people i work with and work for and its truly just this huge blessing in my life.
Anyway, it hasn't always been this way. Last summer when i was living in Provo before i started working at Icon i worked somewhere else. This is the email i wrote to some friends after my first day of work...
Lets go back in time to May 8, 2007 ...
"Ok so i started a new job this morning....at Family & friends Hearing health care...in other words a place where the geriatrics of utah county come to get hearing aids. So i go in at 7:45, they told me to be early, and i SIT there for 45 minutes before they show up at 8:30...and when i say "they" i mean, Dr Swensen and his son, Robert.
Robert is approx 6'5" weighing in at roughly 130 lbs. His pants are pulled up to his chest, and floating about 4 inches off the ground. his short sleeved green button up is tucked into his pants (at chest level) and he is 25 years old. He also has the personality of a mouse and lucky enough, the voice of one too.
So his dad, the audiologist excitedly tells me, their new receptionist, that i am going to be performing my first "ear wax removal". UH WHAT? He instructs me to go downstairs to the kitchen and get some warm water (i couldn't use the bathroom because "Robert is suffering from colitis and has to frequent the bathroom"...so it was occupied). So once i fetched water i come upstairs into the patients room and he instructs me to fill the large metal syringe with the water, hold the little tub next to the mans face tightly so he doesn't get wet and then count to 3 and "BLAST" the water into his ear canal. So i do this...no gloves, no training at 8:35, and out sprays water (now milky due to bacteria, dirt and wax), and chunks of yellow and brown and BLACK earwax. Most of this does not go in the tub which is why the patient is wearing a cape. but most of it does go on me. On my hands, arms and clothes. I immediately started gagging, so he excused me to the bathroom to throw out the wax water in the toilet...and lo and behold what do i find? Remnants of diarrhea from Robert. More gagging comes, resulting in me throwing up on the toilet and on the floor. So i come out asking for cleaning supplies, still gagging, and Robert points me to the cleaning supplies. So i proceed to clean up my own vomit. And once that as done, and my arms and legs and mouth and face were scrubbed clean from wax water he had me do it again, TWICE. And then he wanted me to learn how to clean hearing aids. Since when does a receptionist flush someones ear? Because that is not what i signed up for. More importantly i just couldn't do it, i was gagging. So i just graciously resigned this morning at 9:15 and then walked down state street to maceys where i called Doug to pick me up."
Man i just cannot say it enough, I LOVE MY JOB here in Las Vegas.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Just a little Flashback
Posted by
Shauna
at
12:34 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I cannot believe that you had that experience. I cannot believe it. That is so funny and so horribly disgusting. I cannot believe that.
oh my word I am laughing so hard right now. wow, good stuff, I am so glad that happened to you so you could share. to answer your question,my last name is thompson. btw, if you appreciate some good sharkman humor, and I think you do, go to my sister's blog (ange) scroll down for a video of him doing a dance which was his talent for our family talent show. ( I don't know how to do links on comments, sorry.)
Oh my gosh!! That is SO disgusting! I think I might have thrown up too.
EWWWWW!!!! I'm probably gonna have to go throw up now after reading that! And the picture you added to your post, one look and I started gagging! GROSS! P.S. Thanks for posting a lot, I always hope you have a new post to read when I login to Google Reader :)
im crying right now, literally crying. you should write a book. can i copy this post on to my blog? please??!! I need to share this with the world, it's just too funny to keep on only one blog.
If this is true I am loving it. Seriously, all this crap went down in 45 minutes? They should have hired an earwax tech. or at least some who's gag reflex is manageable (Daniel would have been done at 8:35).
-Becca
Post a Comment