i hate to be boring and be so obsessed with this painting stuff, but its really taking over all of my free time (which is great). I am just looking for ideas on how to improve my etsy shop. I have had a few orders (through the blog and my sisters blog) and at work and word of mouth, so i have been busy painting but i just want all of your input. Would a picture like the one above be good to put on etsy so potential buyers could see the before and afters? And also what should my etsy shop name be? Any ideas? What about the pricing? Do you think its too high? Too low? Let me know....thanks!
if you are looking for me this weekend i will just be sitting in front of the TV watching Project Runway Marathons and painting.
Friday, July 18, 2008
help me out people!
Posted by
Shauna
at
11:33 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
i think that is a great idea, but maybe you would even want to show one where the before is in color, just so that people know the original does not have to be a black and white photo.
awesome, it seriously looks so good. i hope mine turns out half that good. i kind of wish you were here to help me.
oh ya i thats a good idea, makes it more clear. the more pictures the better i think.
how do you do it? like when you say painting, do you actually paint with a paint brush? or is it like something you sort of print on? thats where i get confused.
i'd for sure do befores and afters, but not like you did on your blog. just show the picture and the painting, no computers. people will think that it's "too easy" (while i know perfectly well that it's not).
i think you should call your store "the shauna cabana" (but say cabana so it rhymes with shauna). it's ethnically diverse, which means more not white people will buy.
i agree with showing just a before picture, then show a painting...leave out your computer if possible so more people will buy them rather than figure out how to do it themselves.
To answer some questions/concerns,
yes it is a painting, there is no printing done onto the canvas, just straight up paint and some pencil marks.
Colin, its just iphoto up, its not even photoshop, but you do bring up a good point, i will promptly take a picture today of the original photo next to the painting.
Keep em coming, guys
oh my gosh..this one is incredible! seriously so excited for you.
i think it's a really good idea to put b/a pics up on your website. i think the prices are definitely fair. best to keep them lower at first, realize demand, then raise if need be:). I don't know what your name could be???
I love new businesses! How I wish I wish I were there to help you! I have so many ideas for you. Starting with a new blog {MUST HAVE for you, your ideas and products need a home base of their own}.
What I really wish I could help you with is the photography of your product. You need a really great picture of it, I can help you with this at Christmas?! Or if you know some one else with photography skills try to enlist their help.
As for tabs and buttons, I am not that smart either. I had mine made for $15! The girl that made it for me is Lee Lou Blogs, she also does the whole site for you or just a header.
As far as b /a, I think it is great to let your customers know how you made the picture, from a photograph, so that they don't have to buy a picture of some one else they don't know, but possibly you should do it in a less informative way and a more aesthetically pleasing way. I would show them side-by-side just as pictures, not in the same picture together. Just upload the shot of the person as it is. People will get it, and it looks more professional.
Don't apologize for blogging about all of this, your friends are all obviously very excited for you, and people always have ideas and ways of looking at things that we don't ever see when we are in the middle of it.
I get the same way with my projects. They just start to take over everything. Look on the bright side, atleast you don't have kids to ignore!
I think the prices sound great. I'd love to help in any other way!
I think you could charge more. And I think you are awesome.
ba-da-ba-ba-ba. I'm loving it. I agree that before an after's should be just one picture of painting and seperate downloaded picture of the picture it was painted after. Basically, just listen to hot garlic. I am so going to pimp you on my blog when you get all of these details settled.
I had no idea you painted. Bad friend, I guess. You are really very, very good. Not only technically talented at painting (in my uninformed opinion), but I think you also have great taste in the creative style you pick. I'm really blown away. Especially at the painting of that little boy.
I think you should charge more. I would start with the range of 100-200.
You could call it the Noosh Basket, maybe.
so like everyone else I am loving this. infact, i am going to show my husband this when he gets home and I really really want you do one for each of my girls. I would love to have this displayed. I will let you know soon!
have you done any colored ones? I am curious to see what it looks like in color. or could you do off white and dark brown like a sepia toned picture? just wondering
Name your store "Stroke of Genius...Painting the world One Face at a Time" That will so get anyone to buy!
Or... "The Painted Lady" It's a butterfly, and you can use an image of a butterfly with the name across the wings. Now that will sell!
wow your work is amazing. keep it up. what kind of paint do you use?
Post a Comment